X11 app - unable to open display ""

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 23 13:09:04 UTC 2019

Hi,

I think it is related to the x11 server version, as I saw the same issues with the main xorg-server port (1.20.x) but if I switch back to 1.18 gv behaves better.

As this isn’t the first time so issues with the 1.20 server have been reported since it was made the default version, I have just submitted

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/4135 <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/4135>

which adds back a ‘legacy’ xorg-server-1.18 port. I was a little reticent to do this, but if if provides a fallback solution to these issues until whatever is affecting the 1.20 build can be addressed (I don’t personally currently have a clue) then fine.

those affected can just do

> sudo port uninstall xorg-server
> sudo port install xorg-server-1.18

once the above is merged into master.