nm issue with gimp on 10.5

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Sat Aug 10 22:18:29 UTC 2019

Hi Ryan!

On 8/10/19 9:45 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2019, at 06:32, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>
>> I am re-building current GIMP on 10.5 (I have a couple of local patches to adapt it, last time they gave me a nice working app).
>>
>> Buld fails for me with:
>>

>> .0 -lintl -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreFoundation -lbabl-0.1   -ljpeg
>> libtool: link: /usr/bin/nm -p  .libs/gimpmodule.o .libs/pygimp-item.o .libs/pygimp-display.o .libs/pygimp-drawable.o .libs/pygimp-image.o .libs/pygimp-parasite.o .libs/pygimp-pdb.o .libs/pygimp-tile.o .libs/pygimp-vectors.o   |  | /opt/local/bin/gsed 's/.* //' | sort | uniq > .libs/gimp.exp
>> ../../libtool: eval: line 1734: syntax error near unexpected token `|'
>> ../../libtool: eval: line 1734: `/usr/bin/nm -p .libs/gimpmodule.o .libs/pygimp-item.o .libs/pygimp-display.o .libs/pygimp-drawable.o .libs/pygimp-image.o .libs/pygimp-parasite.o .libs/pygimp-pdb.o .libs/pygimp-tile.o .libs/pygimp-vectors.o   |  | /opt/local/bin/gsed 's/.* //' | sort | uniq > .libs/gimp.exp'
>> make[4]: *** [gimp.la] Error 1
>>

>> I have already seen this issue months ago, perhaps in another port, I don't remember where, the nm version used is too old and using the MacPorts one should fix it.
>>
>> How do I accomplish this? = tried setting NM on the command line but it doesn't ork.
>>
>> I guess the portfile needs a hack... and, in case, can it be done for everybody in the official portfile?
> Well the obvious problem in the above output is the two pipes next to each other: "|  |". That's what's causing the system error, and it wouldn't matter what version of nm you're using. There's obviously supposed to be some other program being called between those pipes, a program which perhaps is not being found on your system. I don't know what that program is; you'd have to read the build system files and see if you can find the variable that's between those two pipes and from that variable name figure out what program it's meant to be.

Ken proposed this:

if {${os.platform} eq "darwin" && ${os.major} < 10} {
     depends_build-append port:cctools
     configure.env-append NM=${prefix}/bin/nm
     configure.args-append lt_cv_path_NM=${prefix}/bin/nm
}

and it worked perfectly! Latest GIMP running on my fine white MacBook 32bit :) Just one single patch needed.

Can it go in the portfile?

Riccardo