Creating a startupitem for nsd

Gerben Wierda gerben.wierda at rna.nl
Sun Aug 11 14:05:07 UTC 2019

I’ve been playing around with MacPorts and I have installed nsd as an authoritative DNS server. (unbound doesn’t handle CNAME, so it is either use BIND or have both nsd and unbound)

unbound comes with a LaunchDaemon plist, nsd doesn’t. So my first mod looks to be that I will have to change the portfile to include startupitem information.

As I understand it:
I need to edit /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports/net/nsd/Portfile (with port edit) and add the startup item stuff there directly (copy original to Portfile.orig first of course). Questions: If I do that, will not MacPorts overwrite my modified Portfile in some scenarios? Will port edit create the Portfile.orig?
And everything I need to do for this change can be done by modifying the Portfile.
And what I gather from the documentation that I can offer the diff later as an improvement.
Correct?

It seems to me I just have to add this to the Portfile:

startupitem.create  yes
startupitem.name    nsd
startupitem.start   "${prefix}/sbin/nsd"
startupitem.stop    "/bin/kill \$(cat ${prefix}/var/run/${name}/nsd.pid)"

Gerben Wierda
Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture <http://enterprisechess.com/>
Mastering ArchiMate <http://masteringarchimate.com/>
Architecture for Real Enterprises <https://www.infoworld.com/blog/architecture-for-real-enterprises/> at InfoWorld