Creating a startupitem for nsd

Kevin Reid kpreid at switchb.org
Sun Aug 11 15:13:37 UTC 2019

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 7:05 AM Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda at rna.nl> wrote:

> I need to edit /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports/net/nsd/Portfile (with port
> edit) and add the startup item stuff there directly (copy original to
> Portfile.orig first of course).

You can also copy the Portfile to any directory you please, then run "port
install" (no port name given) from that directory. This way, it will
definitely not be overwritten.

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 7:19 AM Gerben Wierda <gerben.wierda at rna.nl> wrote:

> In addition, just editing the Portfile and running another port install is
> apparently not enough. How do I get MacPorts to just do the LaunchDaemon
> install after I have edited the Portfile?

In order to get install to rerun, you have to either uninstall first or
increase the "revision" number in the Portfile.

"revision" specifically tracks updates to ports where the original software
doesn't change version number. The default is 0, and it's the source of the
"_0" in installed port version numbers. However, you may or may not want to
rely on it for local modifications in particular, since making up your own
increments to revision means that the official version will be counted an
upgrade only once its revision (or version) is *past* yours.