I'm already using Homebrew for a couple of things, Is it problematic to use Homebrew and MacPorts side by side?

Kenneth F. Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 03:01:32 UTC 2019

> On Aug 9, 2019, at 18:50, Andrew Udvare wrote:
>
> > I can see one way: alias port or the Homebrew command to fix PATH to remove either because this is the main point of conflict. And you have to make sure you don't install other conflicting commands. So something that is installed with MacPorts may also need PATH to be fixed.
>
> MacPorts ignores the PATH while building ports. Yet build problems can still appear if you have Homebrew (or Fink) installed to their default locations (or other software installed to a common location like /usr/local) while building something with MacPorts.

Compilers like clang are prebuilt to search first in /usr/local for include files and libraries, and then after that in /usr (or -isysroot).

SO -- if you have things installed in /usr/local then those headers and libraries will be found automatically and, helpfully, USED.

THIS is why people love HomeBrew so much -- things seem to  "just work" because they are installed (or symlinked) into /usr/local.

However, this is also why things break cryptically without being able to figure out what the heck is going on. Because headers in /usr/local are being used instead of the ones you thought would be used.

IF you are very very clever, and can keep track of all this, you can use multiple different systems together successfully.

Otherwise, you are doomed to never knowing what the H*LL is going on with your failed builds.

Best,