What am I forgetting?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 14 13:15:41 UTC 2019

On Aug 13, 2019, at 08:41, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> And the two ways this directory tree is going to be updated, git and port, they do not conflict? What if I do some git work in the nsd directory and then port updates it, aren’t my changes overwritten?

No, there is no conflict. No, your changes won't be overwritten.

If you were using a sync method that involves a tarball, such as the default rsync sync method, then yes, your changes would be overwritten. This is because to update your ports tree, MacPorts gets the new tarball, deletes the ports tree (including any changes you may have made there), and then untars the new tarball.

But when you use the git sync method, MacPorts updates it by using `git pull`, which preserves any edits you've made.