Is it possible to influence at what UID MacPorts start to create users?

Gerben Wierda gerben.wierda at rna.nl
Wed Aug 14 21:36:29 UTC 2019

If you create local userson macOS, it starts with uid 501 and then goes up. (for network users it always (still?) started with 1025 and then goes up.

MacPorts, when it creates users, starts with 500 and then goes up.

So, depending on the order of creation, the same user has different uid (same for groups). It is not generally a problem, but I don’t like it. Depending on the order of actions on a system you get different uids for different MacPorts-generated users, intermingled with created local users.

I’d like to tell macports to start at another number, to lessen the chance of this.

Gerben Wierda
Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book/>
Mastering ArchiMate <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book-edition-iii/>
Architecture for Real Enterprises <https://www.infoworld.com/blog/architecture-for-real-enterprises/> at InfoWorld