Logging to syslog (by unbound, nsd, etc.) disappearing in a black hole

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Aug 16 00:25:22 UTC 2019

They show up in unified logging. I found reading through the various manpages to be helpful - and there's an old WWDC video that you might find interesting: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/721/

> Why did Apple leave all the ASL stuff in place if it isn’t functional anymore? It’s still there in Mojave. Why did they not offer a decent compatibility? Afraid people would not move to OS-specific log commands? Sigh.

Stuff compiled against previous versions of Mac OS X continues to work using the 'old' stuff (ie, if you built your own postfix and then upgraded your OS - it would still log the way it had done previously). I had a bunch of syslog.conf stuff that I moved to asl.conf that I now just don't have (or have half-replaced with use of the 'log' command). I find using 'log' to find logs much worse than using text-processing tools on text files - but we have to work with what we get from Apple.

--
Daniel J. Luke