problem with fresh MacPorts install on 10.13

Noam Bernstein noam.bernstein at nrl.navy.mil
Fri Aug 23 15:25:01 UTC 2019

> On Aug 23, 2019, at 11:20 AM, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> port sync is what fetches in updates from the main repository. If you don't run this you will never get any port updates, so you should get into the habit of doing it periodically, then running `sudo port upgrade outdated` to actually update your installed ports.

OK, that’s good to keep in mind for the future. I’m still a bit surprised that a fresh install was missing such an important dependency.  The installation web page for the .pkg installer doesn’t mention it, and in fact implies that selfupdate does a sync automatically.  I wonder if that failed for some reason, and I didn’t notice.

							Noam