problem with fresh MacPorts install on 10.13

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 24 03:31:42 UTC 2019

On Aug 23, 2019, at 10:25, Noam Bernstein wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2019, at 11:20 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
>
>> port sync is what fetches in updates from the main repository. If you don't run this you will never get any port updates, so you should get into the habit of doing it periodically, then running `sudo port upgrade outdated` to actually update your installed ports.
>
> OK, that’s good to keep in mind for the future. I’m still a bit surprised that a fresh install was missing such an important dependency.  The installation web page for the .pkg installer doesn’t mention it, and in fact implies that selfupdate does a sync automatically.  I wonder if that failed for some reason, and I didn’t notice.

selfupdate does do a sync for you (unless you use the --no-sync flag).

The pkg installer does run selfupdate for you (during the last part of the installation when it says it is running the postflight script), but perhaps that step failed for some reason. I believe the installer should tell you if the postflight script failed, but if it did, the details about why it failed would only have been visible if you had opened the installer's log window.