How do I merge my own fork with updates from the main fork

Gerben Wierda gerben.wierda at rna.nl
Sat Aug 24 10:12:10 UTC 2019

I’ve created my own git fork of macports to work on port updates (have submitted one pull request so far).

Now ether is (for me) macports/macports-ports and gctwnl/macports-ports (the one from which I’ve created a pull request).

It is not perfectly clear to me how I get the updates from macports/macports-ports back into my fork and be totally in sync.

On my local machine, I see this in my macports-ports directory:

Albus:macports-ports sysbh$ git remote -v
origin	https://github.com/gctwnl/macports-ports.git (fetch)
origin	https://github.com/gctwnl/macports-ports.git (push)
upstream	https://github.com/macports/macports-ports.git (fetch)
upstream	https://github.com/macports/macports-ports.git (push)

So, only my own. These are the commands I ran locally:

   14  git fetch upstream
   15  git merge upstream/master
   22  git push

But instead of being in sync, GitHub.com for gctwnl/macports-ports branch master says:

This branch is 6 commits ahead of macports:master.

So, I am obviously missing something.

Gerben Wierda
Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture <http://enterprisechess.com/>
Mastering ArchiMate <http://masteringarchimate.com/>