Not understanding git (again)

Gerben Wierda gerben.wierda at rna.nl
Wed Aug 28 10:15:55 UTC 2019

I’ve given up on getting my broken local git and own fork repaired. So, I’ve deleted my fork on GitHub and locally and started anew.

$ cd ~/MacPortsDev/
$ rm -rf macports-ports
$ git clone https://github.com/gctwnl/macports-ports.git macports-ports
$ cd macports-ports/
$ port portindex
$ sudo port selfupdate
$ git branch gwdev20190828
$ git checkout gwdev20190828
$ git remote add upstream https://github.com/macports/macports-ports.git
$ git fetch upstream
$ git remote -v
origin	https://github.com/gctwnl/macports-ports.git (fetch)
origin	https://github.com/gctwnl/macports-ports.git (push)
upstream	https://github.com/macports/macports-ports.git (fetch)
upstream	https://github.com/macports/macports-ports.git (push)
$ git remote rename origin local
$ git remote rename upstream origin
$ git remote -v
local	https://github.com/gctwnl/macports-ports.git (fetch)
local	https://github.com/gctwnl/macports-ports.git (push)
origin	https://github.com/macports/macports-ports.git (fetch)
origin	https://github.com/macports/macports-ports.git (push)

At which point, I thought I should be able to do a port -d sync. But it failed:

Albus:macports-ports sysbh$ sudo port -d sync
Password:
DEBUG: Copying /Users/sysbh/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist to /opt/local/var/macports/home/Library/Preferences
--->  Updating the ports tree
Synchronizing local ports tree from file:///Users/sysbh/MacPortsDev/macports-ports
DEBUG: euid/egid changed to: 501/20, env: HOME=/Users/sysbh SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.zF2wX4hO15/Listeners
DEBUG: /usr/bin/git pull --rebase --autostash
DEBUG: system -W /Users/sysbh/MacPortsDev/macports-ports: /usr/bin/git pull --rebase --autostash
There is no tracking information for the current branch.
Please specify which branch you want to rebase against.
See git-pull(1) for details.

    git pull <remote> <branch>

If you wish to set tracking information for this branch you can do so with:

    git branch --set-upstream-to=<remote>/<branch> gwdev20190828

Command failed: /usr/bin/git pull --rebase --autostash
Exit code: 1
DEBUG: euid/egid restored to: 0/0, env restored
DEBUG: command execution failed
    while executing
"system -W $dir $cmd"
    (procedure "macports::UpdateVCS" line 1)
    invoked from within
"macports::UpdateVCS $cmd $dir"
    ("uplevel" body line 2)
    invoked from within
"uplevel 1 $body"
Syncing local Git ports tree failed
Synchronizing local ports tree from rsync://rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports.tar
DEBUG: system: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzvl --delete-after --include=/ports.tar --include=/ports.tar.rmd160 --exclude=* rsync://rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs

Willkommen auf dem RSYNC-server auf ftp.fau.de.
Nicht all unsere Mirror sind per rsync verfuegbar.

Welcome to the RSYNC daemon on ftp.fau.de.
Not all of our mirrors are available through rsync.

receiving file list ... done
./

sent 68 bytes  received 99 bytes  334.00 bytes/sec
total size is 69335040  speedup is 415179.88
DEBUG: successful verification with key /opt/local/share/macports/macports-pubkey.pem
DEBUG: system: /usr/bin/tar -C /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/tmp -xf /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports.tar
DEBUG: system: chmod -R a+r /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs
DEBUG: system: /opt/local/bin/portindex /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports
Creating port index in /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports
Warning: No value for java JAVA_HOME was automatically discovered
Adding port databases/dbeaver-community
Adding port security/xca

Total number of ports parsed:	2
Ports successfully parsed:	2
Ports failed:			0
Up-to-date ports skipped:	21640

DEBUG: Synchronization of 1 source failed
    while executing
"mportsync [array get global_options]"
port sync failed: Synchronization of 1 source failed

I tried to repair:

Albus:macports-ports sysbh$ git branch --set-upstream-to=macports/macports-ports gwdev20190828
error: the requested upstream branch 'macports/macports-ports' does not exist
hint:
hint: If you are planning on basing your work on an upstream
hint: branch that already exists at the remote, you may need to
hint: run "git fetch" to retrieve it.
hint:
hint: If you are planning to push out a new local branch that
hint: will track its remote counterpart, you may want to use
hint: "git push -u" to set the upstream config as you push.

What am I missing?

I know what situation I want:

macports/macports-ports being called origin on my system
fork gctwnl/macports-ports being called local on my system and for now identical to macports/macports-ports
fork gctwnl/macports-ports being used as local repository (so in sources.conf and indexed with portindex)
Use branches (a single branch will probably be enough) within fork gctwnl/macports-ports to do my work.

At which point updating my local fork & branch with updates from the macports/macports-ports should work, I think.

But apparently I’ve done something wrong again.

Gerben Wierda
Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture <http://enterprisechess.com/>
Mastering ArchiMate <http://masteringarchimate.com/>
Architecture for Real Enterprises <https://www.infoworld.com/blog/architecture-for-real-enterprises/> at InfoWorld