Something deleting /tmp/.X11-unix

Al Varnell alvarnell at mac.com
Thu Aug 29 02:23:40 UTC 2019

On Aug 28, 2019, at 17:38, macports at raf.org wrote:
> Al Varnell via macports-users wrote:
>> On Aug 28, 2019, at 14:46, Gregory Seidman wrote:
>>> I recently switched to using a MacPorts-installed xorg-server instead of
>>> downloading XQuartz separately; while I don't know if this issue is
>>> related, I didn't have the problem before switching. Since then I've
>>> noticed that after some number of days I can no longer make connections to
>>> the X server, though current connections are fine. I tracked it down to
>>> /tmp/.X11-unix going missing. I have since taken to moving /tmp/.X11-unix
>>> to /var/tmp/.X11-unix and leaving a symlink in /tmp, but that hasn't
>>> stopped the symlink from being removed. I can relink and everything is
>>> fine, but I'd really like to know why it keeps getting removed.
>>>
>>> Can anyone offer any insight?
>>>
>>> --Greg
>>
>> I'm sure someone familiar with this can provide a better explanation,
>> but it's true that tmp (temporary) files are routinely deleted, either
>> during the installation process or macOS after a week or so. Normally
>> items in that area are either only needed by the installation process
>> or downloaded there and then moved to their final location during
>> installation. I would have to conclude that either something went
>> wrong during installation or there is a step missing in a post-install
>> script.
>>
>> -Al-
>
> I thought /tmp contents should only be deleted by the
> process that created them, or when the system is
> rebooted. If macos is routinely deleting files in /tmp
> for no reason, that's terrible and would probably break
> many things. Deleting a normal file is probably OK
> since it won't really be deleted until the last process
> that has it open closes it. But a socket is another
> matter.
>
> cheers,
> raf

In that case, I would certainly agree that a socket should not be deleted by other than the process that created it, guessing that in this case it's the X11 Server.

In checking my macOS 10.14.6 installation I see that the periodic process 110.clean-tmps is still run daily and used to clean files more than 3 days old, but that doesn't necessarily explain your issue.

I see my empty .X11-unix directory (along with .font-unix & .ICE-unix, also empty) for XQuartz remains located in /private/tmp even after I quite XQuartz, so I'll have to see how long it lasts.

There is a file called .X0-lock that appears when XQuartz is running, which would seem to be the socket.

-Al-