LibcxxOnOlderSystems

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Aug 29 10:53:42 UTC 2019

On 2019-8-29 20:04 , Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:

> Ken Cunningham wrote:
>>> ---
>>> Now, how do I switch this automatic process off ?
>>> I really need to get my system into a working condition ;-)
>>>
>> I think if you start over, uninstall all ports, and then set your macports.conf back to the way it was at birth (comment out all your additions, so it's pristine, or use the default one and copy it over as yours) you should be OK.
>>
>> I suspect your troubles are coming from the changed libc++ setting and the default_compilers setting you added.
>
> I only had the libc++ setting when I started.
>

>> For bootstrapping LibcxxOnOlderSystems, you can't have those in macports.conf until the proper stage of bootstrapping, as per the instructions when it says to add the changes to macports.conf step by step along the way.
>
> I went back to a pristine macports.conf

A pristine one won't work automatically with 2.5.4; you need at least
cxx_stdlib and default_compilers to allow the bootstrapping sequence to
work. For the latter I'd suggest this to approximate what 2.6 will do:

macports-clang-8.0 macports-clang-7.0 macports-clang-6.0
macports-clang-5.0 macports-clang-3.7 gcc-4.2 apple-gcc-4.2
macports-clang-3.4

As of MacPorts 2.6 you will want to remove this from macports.conf.

> It's impossible to install the remaining ports one-by-one as they all
> depend on each other :
>
> #=> port install cctools
> --->  Computing dependencies for cctools
> The following dependencies will be installed:
>  cctools
>  clang-3.4
>  clang-3.7
>  clang-5.0
>  cmake
>  ld64
>  ld64-latest
>  libcxx
>  libomp
>  llvm-3.7
>  llvm-5.0
> Continue? [Y/n]: n
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
> --->  No broken files found.
> --->  No broken ports found.

What does 'port deps' say for clang-3.4, ld64 and cctools? Those
shouldn't have any dependencies in that set. Also curious why ld64 isn't
using ld64-127 for you.

- Josh