[libgcc8] compile failure on i386 on 10.6 Snow

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 00:24:32 UTC 2019

I can reproduce the error on my 32bit 10.6.8 VM. On my system, putting:

configure.ldflags-append -read_only_relocs suppress

into the Portfile (I put it near the bottom group of commands) does indeed get it onto the link line, and the tools do link. So I suspect you mistyped that into the portfile as a configure.args-append or something.

HOWEVER, as is so common in this business, all is still not well, the 32bit binary then generates a bus error when it’s actually run. So — there is more work to do if we want to build a 32bit-only libgcc8 with clang-5.0 on a 32bit-only setup.

I think nobody ever came across this particular scenario yet. We might probably get it sorted out eventually. Probably. Maybe not :> There are probably half a dozen people on MacPorts who might actually fix it, and it is not clear it will ever come up to the top of the to-do list. I suspect in the end we’ll probably just force libgcc8 32bit to build with gcc-4.2 and move on from there.

FOR NOW:

libgcc8 does build just fine on 10.6.8 32 bit using apple’s /usr/bin/gcc-4.2, however, so I suggest you just use that. Because you now have settings in your default compilers that will change what MacPorts would have set up by itself in the past, you now have to force it to use the old gcc-4.2 compiler it was using all these past many years:

sudo port -v install libgcc8 configure.compiler=gcc-4.2

should get it done for you. I hope!

gcc8/libgcc8 already clears the value for configure.cxx_stdlib, so you should not see any stdlib conflicts.

Best,

Ken