gdal at 3.0.1_3: Argument list too long

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 3 03:45:32 UTC 2019

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 7:41 PM Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> On Nov 29, 2019, at 10:01, Dave Allured wrote:
>
> > I have the longer user home prefix because my institutional network
> policy prevents all write access to /opt/anything.
>
> I still think the suggestion I made in
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/59510#comment:2 is worth a try. If you
> can't put a clone of the macports-ports git repo in /opt/anything, you can
> pick another short path that you can write to. For example, /var/tmp should
> be writable, and the OS doesn't clear it out automatically (unlike /tmp);
> you could put your ports in /var/tmp/p. That would shorten the paths a lot,
> but I'm not sure if it'll shorten them enough to fit into the 256K arg
> length limit.

I am pretty sure that your suggestions of /var/tmp/p or /opt/ports would
shorten paths and result in a one time fix.  However I am also trying to
clean up port builds in general, for community benefit.  Therefore I am a
bit pedantic about clean port fixes.  Please bear with me.

The good news is that the upstream developer created an easy makefile fix
which will presumably be in the next GDAL release.  I will post the link in
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/59510.