A general philosophical question about MacPorts

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Feb 20 04:04:33 UTC 2019

On 19 Feb 2019, at 8:13, S. L. Garwood via macports-users wrote:

> So my philosophical question is “Why MacPorts these days?”

Because running the tools it provides in a VM is a grotesque waste of
RAM and disk space and puts a wall up between tools I want to use
occasionally and the UI where I prefer to work mostly.

Also, on one old 1st generation Core Duo iMac, it helps me to build and
run a suite of server software and other key tools that can face the
Internet with reasonable safety and an attack surface that doesn't quite
look like any other machine while seeming irresistible to a certain
class of miscreants. I have a professional interest in the unique
behavioral intelligence I get from that machine that I cannot get
anywhere else. It would be a serious chore to maintain that host as
'live bait' without MacPorts and I hate the idea of just discarding a
machine that would otherwise have no practical use.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org