A general philosophical question about MacPorts

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Feb 20 20:13:04 UTC 2019

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I would have left macOS if I didn't have a package manager available,
> the computer would be next-to-useless.

I'm probably not the only one here who remembers the days when you got
your software from comp.sources and figured out how to make it go :-)

> Even if the software is not packaged (yet), it is orders of magnitude
> easier to build it for Mac than without the package manager.

I find FreeBSD to be comparable; trouble is, there are now several such
managers (all incompatible, of course)...  And I'm still trying to come to
grips with Linux (Debian) and apt-get/aptitude/etc.

-- Dave