A general philosophical question about MacPorts

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Feb 20 22:32:56 UTC 2019

On 20 Feb 2019, at 16:23, Alejandro Imass wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 10:48 AM Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 at 16:33, Bill Cole wrote:
>>>
>>> The departure of MacPorts from Mac OS Forge as it was
>>> being wound down was announced in
>>>
>> https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2016-August/033405.html
>>
>> While I wouldn't mind if Apple continued to provide hardware building
>> capacity, the move to GitHub probably saved (and boosted) the
>> project.
>>

> Exactly my point. There is no such "abandonment" from Apple to
> MacPorts, or
> any Open Source projects around macOS or anything like that.

In fact there has been. There is no longer a functioning syslog(3)
subsystem on macOS. This causes substantial difficulties for otherwise
portable server software, as shown by the recent addition of an internal
logging subsystem for Postfix. They have also ceased development and
packaging of the customized versions of many open source tools which
were formerly part of the Server.app bundle. The increasingly
restrictive defaults of SIP, sandboxing, code-signing, and a preference
App Store software are all OSS-hostile, even if that's not their main
intent.

Whether or not you consider a trend that has been running for ~4 years
"recent" or not is a subjective judgment. Apple substantially supported
MacPorts and the other Mac OS Forge projects for 10 years, which ended
less than 3 years ago.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org