Heads up: poppler won't build

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Feb 24 23:55:34 UTC 2019

Sierra 10.12.6 + latest security updates, MacPorts 2.5.4.

Doing my regular Monday "port upgrade outdated", and...

     --->  Computing dependencies for poppler
     --->  Configuring poppler
     Error: poppler cannot be built while another version of poppler is active.
     Error: Please forcibly deactivate the existing copy of poppler, e.g. by running:
     Error:
     Error:     sudo port -f deactivate poppler
     Error:
     Error: Then try again.
     Error: Failed to configure poppler: poppler is active

Note that I do not file bug reports unless I am 100% sure that it is
indeed a bug, and not my own silly fault; I've had this policy for 40+
years.

So,

     ozzie:~ dave$ sudo port -f deactivate poppler
     --->  Unable to deactivate poppler @0.72.0_0, the following ports depend on it:
     --->  	gimp2 @2.10.8_3+python27
     Warning: Deactivate forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
     --->  Deactivating poppler @0.72.0_0
     --->  Cleaning poppler

Hmmm...  Proceed regardless:

     ozzie:~ dave$ sudo port -p upgrade outdated
     Nothing to upgrade.

(Yes, I'm in the habit of using "-p" to get past broken ports.)

Well, I don't (yet) use GIMP, and I have no idea what "poppler" is, so I
guess I can live with it.

-- Dave