gnutls and LTS on 10.5

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 19:36:06 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-12, at 11:20 AM, Riccardo Mottola via macports-users wrote:

> Hi,
>

> "Strong" of Ken's work on clang 5.0 and TLS, I tried:
>
> port -v upgrade gnutls configure.compiler=macports-clang-5.0
>
> things look better but still don't build for me, I get this error:

Yep, you are almost there! that TLS-supporting clang has come along just in time, as more and more ports are using TLS now.

> libs/libcrypto.a |  | /usr/bin/sed 's/.* //' | sort | uniq > .libs/libgnutls.exp
> ../libtool: eval: line 1731: syntax error near unexpected token `|'

this occurs because the version of nm used to process the objects from the compiler is not new enough
see https://trac.macports.org/ticket/51815
solution is to use the newer nm from cctools at ${prefix}/bin/nm
this can be set with an environment variable sometimes
configure.env-append NM=${prefix}/bin/nm
or for autotools, by passing this in:
configure.env-append lt_cv_path_NM=${prefix}/bin/nm
I usually just add both.
configure.env-append NM=${prefix}/bin/nm
configure.env-append lt_cv_path_NM=${prefix}/bin/nm

I just added a combination of the above to the `gnutls` portfile, and success:

$ port -v installed gnutls
  gnutls @3.6.5_1+doc (active) platform='darwin 9' archs='i386' date='2019-01-10T22:53:28-0800'

I have not factored exactly which one worked, so I didn't PR it yet (and we still have other pressing compiler selection issues to sort out first anyway).

Best,

Ken