port reclaim exclude build dependencies

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 27 18:42:50 UTC 2019

On Jan 27, 2019, at 12:26, Rainer Müller wrote:

> The main problem here would be that information about build dependencies
> is not stored in the registry. Only if we this information was kept on
> installation as a first step, we could then respect it during reclaim.

Hmm, why is that a prerequisite? "port_cutleaves" manages to implement approximately this feature without that information in the registry. I assume it's getting the build dependencies from the current portfile. Can't "port reclaim" do the same? And isn't that actually what we want? Who cares if an outdated installed port had a particular build dependency. What we care about is whether the current version has that build dependency. The goal is to prevent the uninstallation of build dependencies that are likely to be needed in the future; we don't care about build dependencies that were once required in the past.