10.5 Leopard and 64bit support

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Tue Jul 2 14:58:00 UTC 2019

Hi Ryan,

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> The default MacPorts build_arch on Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 on Intel Macs is i386 (32-bit). If you want 64-bit, you can edit build_arch in macports.conf to be x86_64. On 10.5 this will probably work fine. On 10.4 it is less likely to work well since IIRC many Mac OS X libraries weren't 64-bit yet.
>
> The default MacPorts universal_archs on 10.4 and 10.5 is i386 ppc. If you want i386 x86_64, or even i386 x86_64 ppc, you can edit universal_archs in macports.conf.
>
> If you make a change to these archs, it would be best if you uninstalled all ports first. MacPorts isn't designed to detect changes in these values, so if you change them, MacPorts won't know that it should rebuild dependencies.

forgot to answer - thanks. That is what I was looking for. I removed PPC
added 64bit intel and go!

Now I am delving in the typical issues where "bootstrapping" a wokging
compiler set and dev tools on Leopard is not that easy, I asked Ken but
will ask more on the list if I remain stuck

I have installed successfully clang 3.4 and sow nice 64bit processes in
the meanwhile!

Now I am biting my teeth on glib2 which is a clang 3.9 dependency.

Riccardo