texlive no longer finds (some of) its style files?

joerg van den hoff veedeehjay at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 11:10:17 UTC 2019

On 08.07.19 08:28 , Dan Ports wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 06:29:57PM +0200, joerg van den hoff wrote:
>> would `port upgrade texlive' throw out an old texlive-latex-extra rather
>> than upgrading (or ignoring) it? it shouldn't do that but could it?
>
> Yes, this can happen on occasion.
>
> MacPorts doesn't have great support for enforcing that a bunch of
> ports, like all of texlive, should be upgraded at once. In particular,
> if a file moves from the older version of one port to the newer
> version of another, which happens fairly often with texlive, it can
> create a false conflict. There are hacks in some of the portfiles to
> forcibly deactivate conflicts so this doesn't break the upgrade.
>
> Usually this works out fine, and the new versions of all of the ports
> get installed correctly. Depending on the order the upgrades are run
> in, though, and especially if the upgrade is interrupted, some package
> might be uninstalled.
>
> Dan

thanks for confirming that this is a known problem/limitation. I will try to remember this if I
encounter that situation again. it sure is unfortunate, though, that an installed package can
get unwittingly uninstalled especially one that is part of the texlive "mess" ...

but anyway. I have used macports long enough to really appreciate how much smoother it works these
days. thanks a lot to everybody involved!.