texlive no longer finds (some of) its style files?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Jul 8 12:45:56 UTC 2019

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 at 14:27, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I don't think MacPorts will uninstall a port unless you tell it to (directly by name at version_revision+variants, or using a pseudoport (like "inactive" or "leaves"), or using port(1)'s "-u" flag).
>
> What could happen, though, is that MacPorts might deactivate a port if another port has replaced its functionality. For example, if a port texlive-old no longer exists but a port texlive-new now provides the same files that texlive-old used to, then when you install or upgrade texlive-new, it will automatically deactivate texlive-old. The result should be that the files you want are still there. If somehow that didn't end up being the case, you could reactivate texlive-old.
>
> If you selectively update ports, you can run into situations where some of a port's dependencies have been updated but others haven't. This can result in a variety of problems, possibly including the one you mentioned. For this reason, we recommend using "sudo port upgrade outdated" to upgrade all of the outdated ports at once, and not selectively upgrading ports.

With TeX Live one can definitely run into situations of a package
being in one collection, then moved to another collection next year.
And your document suddenly no longer compiles despite having the same
packages installed (but now some files missing), and the only safe way
around it is to install the full texlive.

Mojca