Can't connect to MSWin shares anymore?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 00:02:19 UTC 2019

Hi,

I hadn't connected to the shares of our 2 MSWin computers for a while, and now discover all of a sudden that apparently I can no longer authenticate.

Has a more-or-less recent Win10 update pushed changes that the samba layer of my ageing 10.9 OS can no longer deal with? I can still connect just fine to the smb share on my TimeCapsule.

The smbclient app from port:samba3 can authenticate and list available shared, but `mount -t smbfs` of one of those fails.

My Linux rig has no troubles connecting to the MSWin machines, but it has samba 4.10.x which is a lot newer that the latest version in MacPorts. Is this just abandonware, are there known issues with later versions, or is installing it not going to help with actually mounting a share anyway?

Thanks,
R.