Re: help needed: “Error: clang-4.0 has been replaced by clang-8.0; please install that instead”

Dmitri Zaitsev zaitsev at maths.tcd.ie
Fri Jul 26 03:31:49 UTC 2019

Hi Chris and all,

I have finally figured it out following your suggestion,
have posted here for anyone else having that problem:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/57212770/1614973

Cheers, Dmitri.

> >     'please configure port <foo-bar> to use clang-8.0 instead'
> >

> > That would be less confusing indeed.
> > Can that be made the message?
>
> Not easily. The message is generated by the obsolete port group, which
> is used in a number of scenarios, for some of which the currently
> message does make sense.

Then show both messages maybe? Or link to my SO post?
There is nothing more frustrated for user to get a tiny cryptic message.

--
Dmitri Zaitsev
School of Mathematics

WWW:  http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~zaitsev/