Using MacTeX/TeXLive instead of MacPorts tex ports

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 14:11:20 UTC 2019

I have the complete MacTeX 2019 installed, which includes TeXLive 2019, and its tex-related binaries are first on my PATH.

Some MacPorts ports use various tex binaries and libraries, wither during build or runtime. So when I installed those, automatically the requisite MacPorts tex-related ports were installed, too. This is the case, for example, with octave (uses texinfo, texlive-basic, texlive-latex, texlive-fonts-recommended

Hence I now have two separate TeX distributions installed, which seems utterly wasteful. The one I want to keep is MacTeX/TeXLive.

Can the various Macports tex ports be uninstalled without breaking other, currently installed ports using them? And without intefering with rebuilding those tex-using MacPorts ports when upgrading?

—-
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334