Restarting from scratch on Snow Leopard

Franco Vaccari vaccari at units.it
Fri Mar 1 10:47:05 UTC 2019

> On 27 Feb 2019, at 21:58, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> is llvm39 still the one to be used?
>
> I still use +llvm39
>
> $ port -v installed | grep ld64
>   ld64 @3_1+universal-ld64_127-ld64_236-ld64_97 (active) platform='darwin 10' archs='i386 x86_64' date='2018-09-20T16:56:39-0700'
>   ld64-latest @274.2_2+llvm39+universal-llvm34 (active) platform='darwin 10' archs='i386 x86_64' date='2017-11-26T13:19:27-0800'
>

> One thing you learn in this, is to be current but not too current. There is no benefit to trying to ride the dragon's tale here -- you just run into a lot of new errors that haven't been dealt with yet.
>
> llvm3.9 is about equal to Sierra. That's a pretty good spot. I haven't really tried anything newer yet.
>
> I was configured to use clang-3.9 as my primary compiler up until a few weeks ago, when I fixed clang-5.0+ to enable thread_local storage, and so have just recently set clang-5.0 as my default compiler.
>

> Ken

One question about setting clang-5.0 as the default compiler. Do I have to repeat the whole LibcxxOnOlderSystems procedure or is it enough to install clang-5.0 (hoping it will install) and then change macports.conf to look something like this?

default_compilers macports-clang-5.0 macports-clang-3.9 macports-clang-3.7 macports-clang-3.4 gcc-4.2 apple-gcc-4.2 gcc-4.0

I’m currently having success with most of the package installations I’m doing, but couldn’t install gcc. I’ve started with trying gcc49, but it failed when trying to install the libgcc7 dependency (while libgcc8 was successfully installed). I then tried to install gcc8 but failed as well.

I’m not sure if I should file some tickets about those failures, given that I no longer have a plain MacPorts installation, after having gone through the LibcxxOnOlderSystems stuff

Thanks

Franco