Restarting from scratch on Snow Leopard

Franco Vaccari vaccari at units.it
Fri Mar 1 22:18:49 UTC 2019

> On 1 Mar 2019, at 21:10, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 2019-03-01, at 11:43 AM, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>
>> But that is what you get when you want to run 2019 software on a 2006 system :>

And some of the Xserves that keep the lab going are even older than that… :-/

I’m trying to get an updated MacPorts on this test iMac, with all the packages we need, from scratch, so that I could eventually clone it around on the other hardware running 10.6.8, where some historical MacPorts installation still does its job...

> So in the end, you now have a whole new system infrastructure installed in /opt/local/lib
>
> Your ssl and TLS are up to date, if you use apache from macports you get current security, if you use pretty much anything from macports you are as up to date as anyone.
>

> For a browser, I suggest TenFourFox-Intel version, ArcticFox, or FireFox 45.9.0 ESR version. I am working on a new browser for 10.6.8 using webkit2-gtk and epiphany, but it still has some issues with timing, TLS 1.3, and IPC communication failures.
>
> For email -- let me know if something in Macports works well for you. I haven't explored much. The 10.6.8 email client has old TLS and won't connect to every IMAP server, but you can tell gmail to use that TLS version so that's good enough for now.
>
> If you try to build software, you might run into MacOS SDK issues, but there are fixes and workarounds for a lot of that. You will have trouble building things with XCode, as teaching Xcode 3.26 about the installed clangs, cctools, and ld64 stuff in  MacPorts is a bit tricky. I have done all that, but have to write up how to make it work for general users.
>
> You will probably be happy -- hundreds and hundreds of current ports will "just work" on 10.6.8 with the setup you have now. But there will be some that won't build, like qt5, that will be disappointing.
>
> Trac tickets using Libcxx installations are accepted, as all of macports will be going in the direction you've gone in soon enough -- people like me just don't use the libstdc++ installation any more, so there may be nobody to fix those issues eventually.
>
> Ken

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ve already installed gnuplot, ImageMagick and some other packages. What I do really need now is a working gcc (for gfortran), gmt4 and gmt5, texlive, some python packages and hopefully Qgis (v.2, as v.3 requires qt5).

I’ve just started with gcc49, it’s currently compiling libcc7, will see tomorrow morning if it will end with a success, so that I can continue with this adventure… It would be much faster to compile on the Xserve, with dual quad-core, but that is the main production machine, so can’t dismantle that...

Franco