Rust - Failed to Build

Michael Newman mgnewman at mac.com
Tue Mar 5 22:50:05 UTC 2019

I am aware that there is a bug report on this issue: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/57058 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/57058>

However, I have some different questions. This on a 2010 MBA running 10.9.5, Xcode 6.2

I first noticed this failure about six months ago. I chose to ignore it because:

I saw the bug report and figured it would get fixed, eventually
The failure of Rust to build seemed to have no effect on my installed Ports

After six months:

The bug has not been fixed
The failure of Rust to build still has no effect on my Ports

However, I’m concerned. If the bug is never fixed, will this cause problems in the future?

For example, one of the commenters on the bug report states: "I don't care about rust per se, but it's a dependency for FFMPEG, which I *do* want." But, I run ffmpeg every four minutes, 24/7 on this machine and the lack of Rust seems to have had no effect at all on building or running ffmpeg.

Why do I even have Rust? I didn’t install it, so something I did install must have depended on it at some time. But, it seems that none of my currently installed Ports depend on it. Can I just get rid of it or is some other course of action warranted?

Note that I only visit this machine about once a month. And, it is behind a double NAT, so remote access is problematic. I won’t be there again until mid-April.

Michael Newman
Korat, Thailand