Perl/Tk

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Mar 6 21:03:12 UTC 2019

Dear Dave,

We have ports for:
- p5-tk
- p5-tkk
- p5-tcl-ptk

Sadly most of the comments about Perl/Tk are still true, the situation
hasn't really changed a bit since the last century (not sure if a
smiley or sad face belongs here), most likely because the interest for
Perl faded away in favour of Ruby, Python etc., or at least there were
no serious developers working on Macs.

t5-tk in fact still doesn't work without X11. Yes, wish does, but
Perl/Tk probably copied the original Tk code and modified it for its
own use, without ever following up when Tcl/Tk was ported to Quartz.

Some of the other solutions work with Quartz, but I forgot how things
go exactly. Maybe tkk is a super lightweight wrapper around Tcl/Tk,
requiring a completely different syntax than Perl/Tk, while ptk uses
some hacks to try to support the same syntax as Perl/Tk, and then
allowing the rendering in Quartz. But don't take my word for it.

Mojca