Perl not connecting to MySQL [Solved]

MacPorts macports at hyperbole-software.com
Wed Mar 13 18:24:48 UTC 2019

On 3/13/19 5:58 AM, Dr M J Carter wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 01:33:27AM -0400, MacPorts wrote:
>
>> I'm sure what you're saying is correct. I'd still like to know why
>> Perl could not find the socket file when it was pointed to through a
>> symbolic link.
> Security, I think: Perl sees a symlink where it's expecting a socket,
> and refuses to be fobbed off, in case someone's attempting to hijack
> your process.  (X11 has a similar paranoia about insisting .Xauthority
> is a Real File.)  Abusing symlinks has a long and dishonourable
> history in the naughtier parts of the trade.
>
> Hope this helps.

Dr Carter,
I had wondered if the reason Perl wouldn't recognize the socket when
pointed to by a link was for security, but, I have seen several comments
on the web saying that they had solved this problem with a symbolic
link. <speculation>Maybe the maintainers of DBD::mysql have made changes
to disallow links since those comments were made.</speculation>

Carl.