OpenBLAS binary packages

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed May 15 08:38:13 UTC 2019

> I am trying to understand why I am not able to get the OpenBLAS port to install exclusively from binary packages, i.e. using something like:
>   sudo port -b install OpenBLAS
> Even if I prepare a local repository with the prebuilt binary packages it indicates that it is not able to find any binary package and the above command fails. I have no such problem with other ports.
> I had a quick look to see if there is something in the Portfile itself that forces compilation from source but did not find anything obvious. Is there such a mechanism? what is it? and can this be disabled / overridden?

The Portfile does disable the use of binary archives, by clearing the
archive_sites option.
<https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/math/OpenBLAS/Portfile#L17-L19>

The assumption seems to be that if you are using OpenBLAS, then you must
require maximum performance and hence a build that is tuned for your
specific hardware. A pre-built binary of course cannot provide this.

There is no way to change this short of editing the Portfile or setting
your own archive_sites value on the command line.

- JOsh