OpenBLAS binary packages

Nicolas Pavillon nicos at macports.org
Wed May 15 12:36:50 UTC 2019

Hi,

> The Portfile does disable the use of binary archives, by clearing the
> archive_sites option.
> <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/math/OpenBLAS/Portfile#L17-L19>
>
> The assumption seems to be that if you are using OpenBLAS, then you must
> require maximum performance and hence a build that is tuned for your
> specific hardware. A pre-built binary of course cannot provide this.

It was indeed the point when I made the Portfile. It was also consistent with comparable Portfiles such as atlas, which uses the same technique.
Also, at the point of developing the Portfile, it was mostly standalone, so that the burden of building the port would be limited to users specifically installing it.

Now that OpenBLAS became more widely used and is now a dependency for several other ports, I could look into making a ‘generic’ version as suggested, if it is considered preferable to reduce the building time at the cost of performance.
I would have to confirm if a generic version could also be made, as there have also been issues with build failures with older architectures.

Cheers,

Nicolas