OpenBLAS binary packages

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Fri May 17 14:31:25 UTC 2019

> On May 17, 2019, at 04:39, Artur Szostak <aszostak at partner.eso.org> wrote:
>
> I disagree. I think it can be automated, but requires some engineering effort to get right.
> This is an example of the policy decision and consequences I was alluding to. It is a policy
> decision to expect the end user to do some investigation. But the consequence is that
> this significantly reduces the number (of ideally unique) and quality of the reports. Thus,
> reduces the chance of early detection and feedback. Lets face it, human beings are lazy
> or many not familiar enough with building software or MacPorts to be able to provide
> a useful report. I will take a high quality report from a real diagnostics system over the
> average end user any day.

A very unofficial opinion:

If a package has no maintainers, it may languish regardless of whether tickets are filed, let alone whether ticket filing is automatic.

A lack of free labor is the problem.  Users that won't contribute a bit of focused effort on their part to a high value bug report, and won't volunteer, just add to the problem.

Skynet (or maybe the Matrix) will own the clueless aka "lazy or...not familiar" eventually.  The only way to survive, is to know more than the machine, not less. :-)