Problem with py27-astropy at 2.0.10

Sean Lake odysseus9672 at gmail.com
Mon May 20 08:05:22 UTC 2019

Hello all,

I'm running into a problem using py27-astropy. Two of the modules in
astropy are for opening an image file format called "fits"
(astropy.io.fits) and parsing the coordinate system of the image to
and from the celestial sphere (astropy.wcs). When I attempt to use the
modules, however, I'm getting a segmentation fault. Here's example
code to produce the problem (you'll need a fits file of your own to
replicate it):

Seans-Work-Macbook-Pro:ExtinctionMaps sean$ python2.7
Python 2.7.16 (default, Apr  1 2019, 14:50:41)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 10.0.1 (clang-1001.0.46.3)] on darwin
>>> import astropy.wcs as pywcs
>>> import astropy.io.fits as pf
>>> f = pf.open("ExampleFile.fits")
>>> pywcs.WCS( f[0].header )
Segmentation fault: 11

I also have py36-astropy installed, so there may be a problem with the
underlying library astropy uses to parse the world coordinate system
(wcs), wcslib. I tried to run

port upgrade --force py27-astropy

under that assumption, and it didn't help.

The reason I'm trying to get py27-astropy working is because I have
many legacy scripts that would be a pain in the tuchus to update for
working with python 3.6.

If you need me to produce a fits file to assist with the debugging,
let me know. The "Example.fits" file is only 78KB.

Thanks,
Sean Lake