Wine - is it a macport?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri May 24 06:50:51 UTC 2019

On May 9, 2019, at 01:58, Christoph P.U. Kukulies wrote:

>> On May 8, 2019, at 10:26, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>>
>>> At present a box pops up sometimes saying that my Wine version isn’t optimized for the macOs (mojave in my cease).

Apple prints this message for 32-bit programs, as a reminder to you and its developers that 32-bit programs will not work in macOS 10.15 or later.

At present, Wine must be 32-bit in order to support running 32-bit Windows software. CodeWeavers (one of the primary developers of Wine) are working on a solution to this problem. As of March 2019, they say "We are confident we will have a version of CrossOver for macOS providing this support before macOS 10.15 is released later this year"; see https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=27;msg=212891 Hopefully whatever they put into CrossOver can be pulled out and used in MacPorts as well.

>>> Would I have to do it using macPorts or do I get it elsewhere?

> The program in question is LTspiceXVII, of which a Mac version is existing. Only the Mac version has a totally different GUI.
> The Windows version under Wine has some issues with event handling. Some glitches. I just was wondering whether this could be overcome by using a newer Wine version. The current one, installed with Homebrew, is 4.1_0 (while a Linux version is 4.7 someone told me).

MacPorts offers three ports for Wine; take your pick:

wine: the latest stable version
wine-devel: the latest development version
wine-crossover: the latest version released by CodeWeavers in their CrossOver product

I usually keep these ports updated. I have not lately, because late in the wine 4 development cycle support for MoltenVK was added. I added this to the wine-devel port. But MoltenVK does not support old macOS SDKs, and making MoltenVK require the Xcode 10 SDK would limit the OS versions on which we can use it. Once I have a solution for installing newer SDKs on older macOS versions, we can update MoltenVK and the Wine ports.

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/4025