universal/i386-related issues after upgrading to mojave

raf macports at raf.org
Sat Nov 2 06:31:10 UTC 2019

hi,

i've recently upgraded a laptop from 10.11 to mojave (10.14) and followed the
instructions for macports migration and ran into some troubles.

at first, i changed my macports.conf to put i386 back into the universal_archs
variable but later found out that xcode (i guess) no longer supports compiling
for i386 so i changed it back to the default.

restore_ports.tcl had trouble processing my myports.txt file becaise it
included some universal ports with i386.

i thought deleting the i386 from archs='x86_64 i386' in myports.txt would fix
it but it didn't. now i get errors that say:

  Error: Requested variants "" do not match those the build was started with: "+universal".
  Error: Please use the same variants again, or run 'port clean ncurses' first to remove the existing partially completed build.
  Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_devel_ncurses/ncurses/main.log for details.

i then notied that those ports in myports.txt also inluded "+universal"
so i deleted that. i also deleted the non-active ports.

i think it still got the same errors as above. so i uninstalled all installed
ports and then tried to just installed the ports listed in my requested.txt
file one at a time. i started with MavVim and got this output:

  $ sudo port install MacVim
  --->  Computing dependencies for MacVim
  The following dependencies will be installed:
   gettext
   libiconv
   ncurses
  Continue? [Y/n]:
  --->  Fetching archive for libiconv
  --->  Attempting to fetch libiconv-1.16_0.darwin_18.x86_64.tbz2 from http://nou.nc.packages.macports.org/pub/macports/packages.macports.org/libiconv
  --->  Attempting to fetch libiconv-1.16_0.darwin_18.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160 from http://nou.nc.packages.macports.org/pub/macports/packages.macports.org/libiconv
  --->  Installing libiconv @1.16_0
  --->  Activating libiconv @1.16_0
  --->  Cleaning libiconv
  Error: Requested variants "" do not match those the build was started with: "+universal".
  Error: Please use the same variants again, or run 'port clean ncurses' first to remove the existing partially completed build.
  Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_devel_ncurses/ncurses/main.log for details.
  Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a bug.
  Error: Processing of port MacVim failed

there was a similar error for libiconv at some point.

any idea what i need to do? as far as i know, i didn't start the build with "+universal"
as it claims. note that this isn't using myports.txt or requested.txt. i just tried
to install the MacVim port manually.

the .../ncurses/main.log file that mentions contains:

  :debug:sysinfo macOS 10.14 (darwin/18.7.0) arch i386
  :debug:sysinfo MacPorts 2.6.2
  :debug:sysinfo Xcode 11.1
  :debug:sysinfo SDK 10.14
  :debug:sysinfo MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET: 10.14
  :error:clean ncurses cannot be installed for the configured universal_archs 'x86_64 i386' because the arch(s) 'i386' are
  version:1
  :debug:sysinfo macOS 10.14 (darwin/18.7.0) arch i386
  :debug:sysinfo MacPorts 2.6.2
  :debug:sysinfo Xcode 11.1
  :debug:sysinfo SDK 10.14
  :debug:sysinfo MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET: 10.14
  :debug:clean dropping privileges: euid changed to 507, egid changed to 504.
  :error:clean Requested variants "" do not match those the build was started with: "+universal".
  :error:clean Please use the same variants again, or run 'port clean ncurses' first to remove the existing partially completed build.
  :error:clean See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_devel_ncurses/ncurses/main.log for details.

which i don't understand because i removed i386 from universal_archs.
my macports.conf is identical to the new default version.

it's as though the earlier version of my macports.conf is somehow cached
somewhere and still having an effect.

cheers,
raf