failure to get gcc9 running

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 5 13:06:30 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 05/11/2019 12:28 pm, Hans Goedbloed wrote:

> Hi Peter, Ryan and Chris
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Reply to Chris Jones:
> -- I am not sure that I removed all ports, how can I find out?
> -- How do I create an empty vanilla MacPorts installation?
> By 'port -u uninstall'?

Follow

<https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html>

Once you have done that, just follow the usual instructions to install
MacPorts from scratch.

> I am inclined to just start afresh, but I am very interested in all of your suggestions, since I have another iMac to go (from 2014), that has been upgraded to macOS 10.14 with the old port files on it (I never upgraded ports since all was working fine, until the recent upgrde to 10.14).

Whenever you upgrade your OS it is *mandatory* that you follow the
migration guide

<https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration>

Not following that, precisely (which yes means uninstalling all ports
and reinstalling them once upgraded), is a very good way to end up with
the troubles you are having here.

Another bit of advice - *never* updating your ports after you install
them is also not at all recommended, as it is also a good way to end up
with troubles as when you do the updates are a lot bigger and more
problematic the longer the time period since the last update. I
recommend periodically running

 > sudo port sync
 > sudo port upgrade outdated

and