ksh93

joerg van den hoff veedeehjay at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 22:46:24 UTC 2019

On 15.11.19 23:00, Christopher Jones wrote:

 >> Hello,
 >>    If you put in a ticket to https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Tickets
<https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Tickets> it can be monitored.  It is up
to the maintainer or someone else to update.

 > or, even better, submit a PR with the update yourself at
 >
 > https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pulls
<https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pulls>

a pull request? really? I mean, no offense meant (promise!) but the
macports project sure has a policy for its maintained packages regarding
updating them automatically on a regular basis? all those 20k+ packages
are sure not updated manually by a handful of individuals on explicit
request of a user, right?

in the case at hand, the ksh93 "releases" reside as tarballs at

https://github.com/att/ast/releases

but this obviously is known to the package maintainer, I'd say... so why
would a PR be in order?

and apart the pain caused by having to deal with git(hub) in the first
place ;): in my view, the whole point of a descent package management
system (which macports sure is these days more than ever) is that it
frees the user from having to deal with the "low level" stuff while
enabling him to just use the software he needs/wants. so while I
understand the purpose of a bug tracker it seems already somewhat
"wrong" to me that macports users need to have a github account in order
to submit bug reports. led alone PRs... is it only me?

thanks for macports,

joerg