gdal at 3.0.1_3: Argument list too long

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 27 20:50:39 UTC 2019

I am trying to solve "Argument list too long" when building gdal at 3.0.1_3
from source under macports.  The command that fails is "libtool clang++",
used here to combine a large number of objects into a single library
libgdal.la.  The trac ticket is https://trac.macports.org/ticket/59510 .

I found advice suggesting that the maximum command length is related to the
stack size.  I am not sure this is correct for Mac OS.  However, if true,
this would be an easy fix for argument list too long.

Can anyone tell me whether increasing the stack size would increase the
maximum command length?  If so, what is the best way to increase stack size
in a port file or patch, such that it would apply when this libtool command
is executed?