ghostscript update not automatically activated

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Nov 28 11:44:38 UTC 2019

On Nov 28, 2019, at 04:48, joerg van den hoff wrote:

> I ran `port upgrade outdated' today. after end of sucessfull completion
>
> `port outdated' still reported
>
>    ghostscript                    9.27_1 < 9.50_0
>

> rerunning the `upgrade' did not change anything. on further inspection I see that I now have
>
> 1) ghostscript @9.25_1+x11
> 2) ghostscript @9.26_0+x11
> 3) ghostscript @9.27_1+x11 (active)
> 4) ghostscript @9.50_0+x11
>

> question1: why does this happen? should not the `upgrade' take care of deactivating/activating automaticall? it usually does...

Yes of course. But it is possible for the activate phase of a port to fail. I think that should leave you with *no* version active, rather than the old version active. It is also possible for the user to reactivate old versions, though I suppose you would know if you had done this.

> question2: `deactivate ghostscript' warns me (not quite unexpectedly) that multiple ports will break. how to proceed? force activation of ghostscript and rerun `upgrade'?

No need to force anything. Just run:

sudo port activate ghostscript @9.50_0+x11

P.S: Please use our new list addresses at lists.macports.org, not the old addresses that were deprecated in late 2016.