32bit Docker containers in Catalina

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 29 11:20:54 UTC 2019

On Nov 28, 2019, at 11:04, Ces VLC wrote:

> Should I be beware of difficulties at running 32bit Linux containers in the macports docker in Catalina, or should the Catalina hypervisor be fine at virtualizing 32bit code?

I know that the developers of Wine are having to do a lot of engineering to get 32-bit Windows apps to run under Catalina, since Apple has thoroughly removed the ability to run any 32-bit code from Catalina. I don't know about Docker or Linux containers or the hypervisor, but I would not expect to be able to run 32-bit anything on Catalina and later. Install Catalina on a volume that is not your main boot volume and try it out. If you have room on your main disk and it is APFS-formatted, you can easily create a new volume in Disk Utility that will share the free space, and if it doesn't work out, you can delete the volume later.