putty?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 7 14:07:23 UTC 2019

On Oct 6, 2019, at 17:24, Dominic Reich wrote:

> I think I saw kind of message already. Do you have XQuartz [1]
> installed already? If so, try starting it before you start putty.

Instead of installing XQuartz outside of MacPorts, it is recommended to install the xorg-server port. It is the same software, but an updated version, and managed by MacPorts like your other ports.

It is not supposed to be necessary to start X11 before starting an X11 app. Starting an X11 app should automatically launch X11, assuming you have not overwritten the DISPLAY environment variable.