The state of Catalina...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 10 23:16:11 UTC 2019

On Oct 10, 2019, at 18:05, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:

> After some difficulties caused by upgrading to XCode 11, I'm sure a lot of people are weary of upgrading to Catalina just yet, so could someone give a timeframe for when it should be >95% safe for most macports users to upgrade to Catalina trouble free?

Most of the difficulties of using Xcode 11 on Mojave relate to the fact that Xcode 11 does not contain the Mojave SDK. Xcode 11 contains the Catalina SDK. As such, the same problems would not affect you if you're using Xcode 11 on Catalina.

Since Catalina has just been released and many port maintainers probably haven't updated yet, it will probably be months before we've all had a chance try to discover whatever problems might exist and to try to fix them. If you'd like to participate in that, please do and file tickets or pull requests if you discover problems. If you'd rather have an experience closer to things just working, then wait a few months before upgrading.