MacPorts activation relating to bsdtar

Steven Esser me at stevenesser.com
Fri Oct 11 15:49:03 UTC 2019

On a fresh Catalina (10.15) install with Xcode 11.1 and the latest CLI tools I cannot seem to activate any ports. Most seem to configure and build correctly, but fail when they reach the activation step. Attached is the log for an attempted installation of ncurses that has this activation step failure and occurs no matter what the port.

From the log itself, it looks like bsdtar is the culprit? Bsdtar fails with this command "Command failed: /usr/bin/bzip2 -d -c /Users/sesser/MacPorts/var/macports/software/ncurses/ncurses-6.1_0.darwin_19.x86_64.tbz2 | ( bsdtar -xvp --hfsCompression -f - )”

This is the bsdtar found at /usr/bin/bsdtar.

Wanted to post this here to make sure there wasn’t a quick fix etc for this before I file a formal bug.