MacPorts 2.6.2: Failed to configure postgresql83

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 22 06:45:21 UTC 2019

On Oct 22, 2019, at 00:50, Michael Newman wrote:

>> On Oct 22, 2019, at 12:26, Wahlstedt Jyrki wrote:
>>
>>> Michael Newman kirjoitti 22.10.2019 kello 7.19:
>>>
>>> I have no idea. I don’t even know what it is. It must have been installed by some other port that I requested.
>>
>> Hi,
>> can you find out, what it was you requested. I looked at the port collection and found some that are not actively maintained at the moment depending on too old versions of postgres. If you can find that, I can try to update that port. Then, it will take a few moments, especially if the port is otherwise outdated.
>
> How would I find out? I got this error message for the first time after updating to the most recent MacPorts release. I haven’t installed anything new in quite some time.

PostgreSQL is a database server. If you don't think you need it (or any port), try uninstalling it. ("sudo port uninstall postgresql83"). MacPorts will either let you uninstall it, or it will tell that uninstalling it will break some other port. If it does the latter, look at the variants of the other port ("port variants theOtherPortsName") and see if there is a variant for using a newer postgresql instead. If so, reinstall the port using that other variant. ("sudo port install theOtherPortsName +postgresql12" for example.) If not, let us know what the other port is.