MacPorts 2.6.2: Failed to configure postgresql83

Michael Newman mgnewman at mac.com
Thu Oct 24 13:00:16 UTC 2019

"Dominic Reich" <dominic at mm.st <mailto:dominic at mm.st>> wrote:

> You should be able to print without any additional software (except the
> driver that macOS retrieves from its Servers). But you won't need any
> package from MacPorts for printing.
>
> Besides that, postgresql83-server is a database. You won't need a
> database to print stuff.

This is going to be long, boring and somewhat irrelevant. If you’re busy, move on to the next thread.

Bottom line is that when you have an old, ignorant and naive person like me trying to use something like MacPorts, this stuff is going to happen.

Let’s examine the timeline.

On Tuesday morning the first thing I did was print a mailing label I needed to return a failed disk drive to Western Digital for warranty replacement. That print job executed without issue.

The next thing I did was to update MacPorts. That’s when I got the error message on postgresql83. After exchanging a few messages with other members of this list I decided to delete postgresql83. That was sometime after lunch. After that I didn’t do anything on the iMac. I watched some TV, read a novel, worked in the garden, had a beer for happy hour and ate dinner. (I’m retired.)

The next morning the first thing I did was try to print something. I’m both surprised and shocked that the print system has simply disappeared. In my mind I associate the last thing I did on Tuesday (delete postgresql83) with the first thing I tried to do on Wednesday morning (print something). So I assume (wrongly, I guess) that deleting postgresql83 had something to do with the disappearance of the printing system. What else could it have been? I’m the only one who uses this computer and I didn’t do anything between deleting postgresql83 on Tuesday afternoon and trying to print something on Wednesday morning.

Anyway, I apologize for the error. As always, I appreciate the help and advice I receive here.

Mike Newman
Korat, Thailand