Virtual Machines & Binary Compatibilty

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sun Sep 1 06:01:03 UTC 2019

All other things being kind of equal, I think I'd favor a host for the VM whose CPU generation was at least as new as what the guest OS would have originally run on, but as close as possible, of the available hosts.  Mostly I'd suppose an older OS could ignore features of a newer CPU that it didn't use...mostly.  But at the OS kernel level, compatibility issues that can usually be ignored at the application level (unless one attempts CPU-specific optimization) may exist. So the closer host and guest native CPU generations, IMO the better.

Curious what you mean by "hard-code the screen size" for macOS/OSX on VirtualBox (not looking for Hackintosh, would be running on a macOS Mojave or later host).  Easy macOS guest (usually the latest in the first few weeks after full release) is my main reason for Parallels, although If I get my hands on a working Snow Leopard Server DVD (or maybe polish the one I've got so it's fully readable?), I'd like to virtualize Snow Leopard too (being the last with Rosetta, and on which some rather old software can run) too - my 2007 Mac Mini is getting very old and cranky.  If I could have both Snow Leopard and Catalina (when past beta) guests on VirtualBox, I wouldn't need to spend for Parallels (although Parallels Access is nice, not that I don't have free alternatives there too); VirtualBox does best for Solaris (since there are guest extensions for it) and ok for CentOS or Ubuntu (the other guests I mainly run), and decent even for OS's like Haiku (open source BeOS successor), ReactOS (open source OS aiming for Windows compatibility), and even Syllable and I think Kolibri (doesn't do Plan 9 nicely though, that one's disk driver is more ancient than anything VirtualBox handles well).  So there's not much that runs on x86/x86-64 that I've tried that VirtualBox can't handle, give or take pain getting macOS working on it.  I still think Parallels does Windows a bit nicer than VirtualBox, though.

But for really weird (IBM and Burroughs mainframes, PDP-11, Apollo workstation), it still takes emulators, since their CPUs are so different. I think I collect OS's.  That, or OD-ing on geeky nostalgia. :-)